Episode 51: Legendborn by Tracy Deonn
Hey, everyone! We’re so incredibly excited to share this episode about Legendborn by Tracy Deonn. It’s a captivating, innovative and insightful riff on Arthurian legend set in contemporary North Carolina. Jessie and Cynthia’s (of @cynthiasreadinglist) campaign to get everyone to read this book continues!
Content warning for discussions of racism, slavery, and parental death
A quick reminder: we still have a survey going on, and it is helping to shape the future of the show! It only takes 5-7 minutes, so please consider taking it.
interested in reading along with us? Check out the rest of the books in the upcoming season on our future episodes page.
behold, show notes!
- Shoutout to our new patron, Veronica! we <3 u
- Recommend if you like (RIYL): Arthurian legend stuff; any of L.L. McKinney’s Nightmare-verse books (A Blade so Black, A Dream so Dark, A Crown so Cursed)
- J mentions the John Oliver episode about the confederacy (and why we have white women to
thankblame for the damn confederate statues)
- Highly recommend this video unpacking the myth of the “model minority” (app. 40 min).
- Melissa Denizard breaks down racial battle fatigue (24 min video)
- “Racial battle fatigue is the result of psychological and physiological stress overload from specific race-related relationships between a racially marginalized individual and their environment.” We have scholar William A. Smith to thank for the term.
- Bree and Sel fics, anyone!? send them our way.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
As always, we’d love to be in discussion with you, magical people. Drop us a line in the comments or reach out to us on twitter, Instagram (@thelibrarycoven), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Access complete show notes on our website, thelibrarycoven.com.
We really appreciate ratings and reviews on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or any other platforms. Help us share the magic by spreading the word about the podcast!
Please support our labor by leaving us a one-time tip on Ko-fi or purchasing books from our Bookshop! Even better yet, become a monthly patron via Patreon and you can unlock a bunch of exclusive perks like access to our community of reader-listeners on Discord.
Our cover art is by the talented artist nimsby. The podcast theme song is “Unermerry Academy of Magics” by Augustin C from the album “Fantasy Music”, which you can download on FreeMusicArchive.com.
The Library Coven is recorded and produced on stolen indigenous land: Arapahoe, Cheyenne, and Ute (Kelly) and Chickasha, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Mascoutin, Miami, Mesquaki, Odawa, Ojibwe, Peankashaw, Peoria, Potawatomi, Sauk, and Wea (Jessie)
#LandBack. You can support Indigenous communities by donating to Mitakuye Foundation, Native Women’s Wilderness, or the Navajo Water Project. These suggested places came from @lilnativeboy.