Episode 71: Zahrah the Windseeker by Nnedi Okorafor
This week we’re discussing Zahrah the Windseeker by Nnedi Okorafor. This story follows Zahrah, a 13 year old girl who is born with special hair called dadalocks. When her best friend falls into a coma after a snake bite, Zahrah, who is scared of pretty much everything, has to take a journey through the jungle to find a cure.
This is Okorafor’s debut from back in 2005 if you can believe it. The world building is NEXT LEVEL, our MC is feisty and relatable, and there’s a beautiful friendship at the core of the story. What’s not to love?
This was the book choice of our wonderful Patreon patron Grey from@grey_reads. Follow them on instagram for reviews of a wide variety of books. Thanks so much for this one, Grey!
- Recommend if you like…
- Matilda (although we’ve only seen the movie)
- Alice in Wonderland – which gets a few mentions in the book, although with a slightly different title
- Ms. Marvel – either the comics or the show
- A Blade so Black by L.L. Mckinney*
* we’ve done episodes for this book! but you don’t have to take our word for it – go ahead and scroll thru our episodes page 🙂
- we looked it up, first iPhone was from 2007
- Headspace app/site (not an ad! Jessie just enjoys it)
- collective group names for vultures
- This novel is dedicated to Virginia Hamilton, a Black author who has won ton of awards for her writing and is one of the few Black people to have won a Newbery
- “Friendlove” episode of How to Survive the End of the World podcast
- “I’ve Got a Friend” by Maggie Rogers (visualizer on YT)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
As always, we’d love to be in discussion with you, magical people. Drop us a line in the comments or reach out to us on twitter, Instagram (@thelibrarycoven), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Access complete show notes on our website, thelibrarycoven.com.
We really appreciate ratings and reviews on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or any other platforms. Help us share the magic by spreading the word about the podcast!
You can support our labor by leaving us a one-time tip on Ko-fi or purchasing books from our Bookshop! Better yet, become a monthly patron via Patreon and you can unlock a bunch of exclusive perks like access to our community of reader-listeners on Discord.
Our cover art is by the talented artist nimsby. The podcast theme song is “Unermerry Academy of Magics” by Augustin C from the album “Fantasy Music”, which you can download on FreeMusicArchive.com.
We support #LandBack. The Library Coven is recorded and produced on stolen indigenous land: Arapahoe, Cheyenne, and Ute (Kelly) and Chickasha, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Mascoutin, Miami, Mesquaki, Odawa, Ojibwe, Peankashaw, Peoria, Potawatomi, Sauk, and Wea (Jessie)