Episode 7: A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
Reading A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir led to discussions of the prison system, mythology, and accountability. We loved how exciting a prison break can be. And this book had surprises around every corner, which had K reading the book immediately after finishing the first. Question: Are Avitas and Elias full or half siblings?
Below are some articles and information about topics discussed in this fortnight’s episode:
- There are lots of different types of mythology out there, not just Greek mythology, but we talked specifically about Persephone and Hades in this episode.
- If you aren’t already, we highly recommend following Rachel Cargle on Instagram. She does a lot of work unpacking white feminism, and has a great article called “When Feminism is White Supremacy in Heels.“
- Also, read this article, “How to Spend your Privilege” by Brittany Packnett.
- Even back in 2003, the American Psychological Association realized prisons were not doing the work of rehabilitating people.
- Pod Save the People
- Serial podcast
- Ava DuVernay’s 13TH
- Brené Brown
- Read this Dear Sugar about leaving, even if you love a person. Laia probably could have used this advice regarding Keenan.
- If you want to read some great books with emotional manipulation that also happen to be very 90’s, check out the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Transcript to come Spring 2021
As always, we’d love to be in discussion with you, magical folx. Post or tweet about the show using #criticallyreading. Let us know what you think of the episode, anything we missed, or anything else you want us to know by dropping a line in the comments or reaching out to us on twitter or Instagram (@thelibrarycoven), or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also check out the show notes on our website, thelibrarycoven.com.
We really appreciate ratings and reviews on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or any other platforms. Help us share the magic by spreading the word about the podcast!
Please support our labor by leaving us a one-time tip on Ko-fi or purchasing books from our Bookshop! Even better yet, become a monthly patron via Patreon and you can unlock a bunch of exclusive perks like mini-sodes, bonus episodes, and access to our community of reader-listeners on Discord.
The podcast theme song is “Unermerry Academy of Magics” by Augustin C from the album “Fantasy Music”, which you can download on FreeMusicArchive.com.
JK, it’s magic is recorded and produced on stolen indigenous land: Arapahoe, Cheyenne, and Ute (Kelly) and Chickasha, Kaskaskia, Kickapoo, Mascoutin, Miami, Mesquaki, Odawa, Ojibwe, Peankashaw, Peoria, Potawatomi, Sauk, and Wea (Jessie)
You can support Indigenous communities by donating to Mitakuye Foundation, Native Women’s Wilderness, or the Navajo Water Project. These suggested places came from @lilnativeboy